Want to run one of our races for free and help deserving local charities at the same time? Join our Charity Challenge! The Charity Challenge provides a unique opportunity for race participants, individuals and organizations to raise funds on behalf of an official charity partner and gives charities a large platform on which to raise awareness for their cause. Our charities represent a wide variety of causes, so there’s sure to be an organization that appeals to everyone! Together, we raised over $50,000 in 2017 and we hope to beat that in 2018!
2018 Official Charities
- Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma
- Folds of Honor Foundation
- Tulsa Area United Way
- Tulsa Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Ainsley’s Angels
How YOU can help
Participants in the Charity Challenge have the opportunity to fundraise for one of the five official charities and receive a FREE guaranteed race entry. Race participants will be required to raise a minimum level of funds for their chosen organization, with the amount varying by which race is selected. Upon reaching the minimum fundraising goal, the participant will have their entry covered by their charity. It’s a win-win for everyone! Better still, the Williams Route 66 Marathon will match up to $25,000 total of raised funds for the charity program – that’s a huge impact for Tulsa!
Fundraising requirements for free registration in the 2018 Williams Route 66 Marathon.
(Please note: These amounts do not apply to those in the Corporate Challenge.)
- 5K participants are required to raise $120
- Half-marathon participants are required to raise $300
- Marathon participants are required to raise $525
- Marathon relay participants are required to raise $1,000
- November 8, 2018 is the last day to meet your fundraising goal and receive a free guaranteed entry for a sold out race.
- November 11, 2018 is the last day that participants that have met their fundraising goal can use their code to register for the Williams Route 66 Marathon. There will be no exceptions to this deadline.
- November 13, 2018 is the last day to register to participate in the Charity Challenge.
- November 18, 2018 is the last day to meet your fundraising goal and receive reimbursement from your charity for a race registration fee that you paid for.
Steps to Fundraise
Click on either Fundraise or Register button.
Select Fundraise (near the bottom)
Once you’ve registered, set up your fundraising page
- Start early, start now. The most important thing to remember with fundraising is that the sooner you get started, the sooner you will see donations come in.
- Set up your personal fundraising webpage. Click the link above to setup your fundraising page.
- Set your fundraising goal. After setting your goal you need to plan how to reach it. Every person you interact with during the day is a potential donor and somebody you can educate about how you are supporting the Tulsa area in November.
- Distribute a fundraising letter and email. In order to fundraise, you have to communicate with potential donors. Be sure to explain why you are fundraising and don’t forget to ask for support. Be strategic and creative when and how you ask potential contributors for support. In lieu of birthday gifts, in honor of loved ones, to celebrate special events and holidays.
- Ask for matching gifts. Many companies support employee charitable giving by offering matching gift programs. Be sure to ask your donors if they are eligible for a company match and follow the process provided by company to ensure the match is received.
- Follow up with others. It is important that you stay in touch with potential donors as well as supporters who have already contributed toward your fundraising efforts. Keep your friends and family up-to-date on your fundraising and training milestones. Be sure to send thank you letters and gentle reminders.
- Be creative with technology. Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter can be used to promote your cause. Online donations are a convenient and effective method to fundraise. People generally donate more when donating online. The average online donation is $100, and participants who use online fundraising raise an average of 46% more than those who do not. About 65% of the donations made to online fundraising campaigns came through personal pledge pages.