The Williams Route 66 Marathon is pleased to announce the five official charities for the 2014 Williams Route 66 Marathon charity program.
The charity program provides an avenue for race participants, individuals and organizations to raise funds on behalf of an official charity partner. It also provides a platform for charities to raise awareness and educate others about their cause.
- Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma
- Folds of Honor Foundation
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Oklahoma Chapter
- Tulsa Area United Way
- Tulsa Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
How to participate
The charity program gives runners an opportunity to fundraise for one of the five official charities and receive a guaranteed race entry. Race participants will be required to raise a minimum level of funds and the amount will vary by race. When a participant raises the required funds, the charity will cover their race registration fee. The Williams Route 66 Marathon will match up to $25,000 total for the charity program.
- 5K participants are required to raise $100
- Half-marathon participants are required to raise $250
- Marathon participants are required to raise $500
- Marathon relay participants are required to raise $1,000
For questions regarding the Williams Route 66 Marathon charity program, visit www.route66marathon.com or contact send an email to email@example.com.
- Start early, start now. The most important thing to remember with fundraising is that the sooner you get started, the sooner you will see donations come in.
- Set up your personal fundraising webpage. <Click here> to setup your fundraising page. <https://www.crowdrise.com/Route66Marathon2014>
- Set your fundraising goal. After setting your goal you need to plan how to reach it. Every person you interact with during the day is a potential donor and somebody you can educate about how you are supporting the Tulsa area in November.
- Distribute a fundraising letter and email. In order to fundraise, you have to communicate with potential donors. Be sure to explain why you are fundraising and don’t forget to ask for support. Be strategic and creative when and how you ask potential contributors for support. In lieu of birthday gifts, in honor of loved ones, to celebrate special events and holidays.
- Ask for matching gifts. Many companies support employee charitable giving by offering matching gift programs. Be sure to ask your donors if they are eligible for a company match and follow the process provided by company to ensure the match is received.
- Follow up with others. It is important that you stay in touch with potential donors as well as supporters who have already contributed toward your fundraising efforts. Keep your friends and family up-to-date on your fundraising and training milestones. Be sure to send thank you letters and gentle reminders.
- Be creative with technology. Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter can be used to promote your cause. Online donations are a convenient and effective method to fundraise. People generally donate more when donating online. The average online donation is $100, and participants who use online fundraising raise an average of 46% more than those who do not. About 65% of the donations made to online fundraising campaigns came through personal webpages.